06 March 2006

bad song alert: wasn't the latin explosion over in 1999?

I'll probably get a lot of crap from people for saying that this song is lame, but...it is.

Look. I love Shakira, so this isn't some sort of musical elitist bullshit. The 25% Latino male within me will "Whenever, Wherever" and "No Creo" with the best of yall, but I think she went a bit far with her English crossover this time. Songs like this had their moment...but that was in 1999. And don't even get me STARTED on Wyclef. Where The Fugees at?

SHAKIRA f/ WYCLEF JEAN- Hips Don't Lie
(mp3 courtesy of sinternet, BUY Oral Fixation, Vol 2)

If anything makes up for this song, it's the video. Shakira's hips are actually pretty amazing. No lie.

Running the seas 'cause I own my own boats,
Joe John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why it sux (and shakira's part sounds ridiculously loud/weird): its a Wyclef & Claudette Oritz song from Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights soundtrack. Look on iTunes and its called "Dance Like This"--AND its the same.

why Shakira's label thought that THIS was the way to make Shakira relevant in English again is beyond me.

--Matt